Sunday 10 March 2013

My Five Beauty Obsessions: Mariana Chambers


My Five Beauty Obsessions: Mariana Chambers


Mariana Chambers loves to look great while zipping around lower Manhattan on her California Cruiser, which is why she founded GiveLoveCycle with her DC-based friend, Debra Zusin. The fashion-forward company makes chic, functional bike bags (see above!) that can tote helmets and shoes.

But a super-cute bag isn’t Chambers’ only bike-based beauty need. “Sunscreen is definitely the most essential product for city cyclists,” she says. “I tend to get dark spots from the sun, and I will never leave without sunscreen—in winter, rain, summer, it doesn’t matter.”

We found out which sun protector she’s slathering on, and what other products keep her pedaling pretty…

1. Weleda Baby Calendula Weather Protection Cream ($11) Made of pure beeswax and lanolin, this intense moisturizer was intended to shield baby skin against the harsh cold winter months. I slather it on my hands when I come home from my day, as I like to ride my bike with fingerless gloves. I also put a generous amount on at night and sleep with organic cotton gloves to help lock in moisture overnight.

2. Earth Science Clarifying Facial Wash and Scrub ($7) I alternate from the wash to the scrub every three days. The wash is mild enough to never dry my skin but strong enough to clean deep down inside my pores. The scrub gently exfoliates dead cells away and helps give my skin a healthy glow.

3. Jurlique Sun Lotion SPF 30 ($54) I use this all-natural light-weight face lotion all year long. It protects me against strong harmful UVA/UVB rays in the summer and winter. I massage two small pumps after the shower on my face and neck every day.

4. Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightener ($22) This plant-derived smoothing cream keeps my waist-long locks shiny and wave-free for days. I use a dime sized amount after the shower, and it helps protect my hair from the high heat of the blow dryer. It’s light-weight and smells great.

5. Fresh Sugar Lip Polish ($22.50) This uses real brown sugar to exfoliate my winter dry lips and conditions them with jojoba, grape seed, and other great oils. I use this twice a week in the winter and follow it up with Fresh Lip Treatment with SPF15 in clear. —Lisa Elaine Held

No comments:

Post a Comment